GIS (Geographic Information System) is a computer-based methodology for collectiong, analyzing, modeling and presenting geographic data for a wide range of applications. The proliferation of desktop hardware and software has made these systems an important tool in our day-to-day lives. GIS is also used in mobile apps to perform real-time analysis. In addition to encouring increased spatial literacy the center also offers:
- Campus-wide GIS software distribution:
- The GIS Research Center administers the campus site license for a large suite of products from Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc (ESRI).
- GIS Data Repository:
- Encourage data sharing (and cost savings) across campus by maintaining a server-based clearinghouse for geospatial data.
- Instructional and Research Support
- Offer software, hardware and training support to faculty and students using geospatial technology in their teaching and research.
The Center for Sustainability was established at CSUF in 2009 and is a campus focal point for sustainability-centered activities. These include facilitating the development and inclusion of sustainability-centered topics in the university's curriculum, supporting external grant-getting by faculty members and other members of the university community, encouraging interaction among faculty members from different disciplines, reaching out to members of the greater community interested in sustainability, providing leadership in efforts to make the campus more sustainable, and coordinating sustainability-related activities on campus.
California State University, Fullerton is a signatory of the Talloires Declaration and the American Colleges and Universities Presidents’ Climate Commitment as of spring 2011. The university completed the first campus-wide sustainability assessment achieving a STARS Silver rating. It has been the commitment of this university to be sustainable in practice and educate sustainable behaviors and concepts to its students. As a regional leader in sustainability and in education, this collection of sustainability courses and courses that include sustainability components demonstrates and supports those set commitments for the institution and to its students.